Monday, September 5, 2016

Artificial Turf as alternative to patio?

I have an area that I’m trying to figure out a solution for in the backyard, and I’m wondering if artificial turf is a good option.

The area is mostly covered by a gazebo and is in the root zone for a large red oak. I don’t want a patio there because I’m concerned what that would do to tree roots (digging down 8-10" & backfilling with road base, then using polymer sand between the pavers means almost no water/air exchange for the roots in that area). So I’m looking for alternative options.

One idea is faux turf - artificial grass. I think this can be installed by just skimming the grass that is there off the ground, adding an inch or two of coarse sand, weed block fabric, then the turf. I know it will look fake, but it would be mud-free & feel stable under foot.

The gazebo is one of those screen-house things without a floor, so nothing will grow under it normally. Has anyone seen artificial turf hold up well over time? Is it a huge PITA to clean/manage?

submitted by /u/Engineerchic
[link] [comments]

No comments:

Post a Comment